John E. Dodes, DDS
Forest Hills, New York, USA
John E. Dodes, DDS, lectured widely on the topic of dental health-fraud and has appeared many times on national television, including three interviews on ABC’s 20/20 and one interview on NBC’s Dateline concerning the false allegations of amalgam toxicity. He is the co-author of the consumer books, The Whole Tooth and Healthy Teeth: A User’s Guide. He served as president of the New York Chapter of the National Council Against Health Fraud from 1990 to 2006 and was a member of he New York State Health Fraud Advisory Council from 1990 to 1999. Dr Dodes is an advisor to the American Council on Science and Health and a reviewer for the Journal of the American Dental Association. He is co-editor of Dental Watch an internet information website and a consultant to Johnson & Johnson. He is the author of numerous articles and book chapters in both the professional and lay press. He was invited to be a panelist for the Reader’s Digest article, “How Honest Are Dentists?”
After graduating from Fairleigh Dickinson School of Dentistry in 1971 and serving as a dental flight surgeon in the Air Force, Dr Dodes went on to open a private practice in New York. He was appointed as a visiting faculty member at the Stony Brook School of Dentistry in 1993.
A Primer on Dental Care: Quality and Quackery (American Council on Science and Health, 2006). “ACSH believes that unnecessary and unscientific dentistry poses a substantial risk for the American public. This report identifies the main problem areas and suggests what can be done about them.”
Healthy Teeth: A User's Manual (St Martin’s Griffin, 1998). Consumer information that deals with common myths and misunderstandings.
The Whole Tooth: How To Find A Good Dentist, Keep Healthy Teeth, And Avoid The Incompetents, Quacks, And Frauds, with Marvin J. Schissel (St Martin’s Press, 1997). Includes a “Primer on Quackery.”
- The Antifluoridationist Threat to Public Health, with Michael W. Easley (ISM White Paper, 2012)
- “Quackery over science,” The New York State Dental Journal, 2006 Jun-Jul; 72(4):9. Letter.
- “Fluoridation in the 21st Century,” in JH Lehr & J Keeley, eds., Water Encyclopedia: Domestic, Municipal, and Industrial Water Supply and Waste Disposal (Wiley, 2005), 2:254-256.
- “Fillings, fluoride, and fear,” American Council on Science and Health, 2002 Apr 2.
- “The amalgam controversy: an evidence-based analysis of the amalgam controversy,” Journal of the American Dental Association, 2001 Mar; 132(3):348-356. [abstract]
- “Junk science and the law,” Skeptical Inquirer, 2001 Jul-Aug; 25(4):31-34.
- “Dental silver-amalgam fillings: are dentists poisoning their patients?” Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine, 2001 Winter; 5(1):32-38.
- “Alternative therapy: an historical perspective on health fraud,” Quinnipiac Health Law Journal, 2000; 3:37-57. [excerpt]
- “High-tech diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular disorders” (with MS Leonard), Technology, 1999 Feb; 6:287-292.
- “Oversight is lax,” The New York State Dental Journal, 1999 Jun-Jul; 65(8):10.
- “The mysterious placebo,” Skeptical Inquirer, 1997 Jan-Feb; 21:44-45.
- “Dentistry and alternative therapy” (with MJ Schissel), The New York State Dental Journal, 1997 Mar; 63(3):32-37. [abstract]
- “Rethinking dental insurance” (with JW Friedman & MJ Schissel), Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 1995 Summer; 55(3):131-132. [DOI]
- “Holistic dentistry: innovation or quackery?” (with MJ Schissel), CDS Review, 1994 Dec; 87(11):8-10.
- “Holistic dentistry—on to the Middle Ages” (with MJ Schissel), Journal of the Colorado Dental Association, 1994 Oct; 73(2):12-14,44,46.
- “The role of physicians in dental quackery” (with MJ Schissel), New York State Journal of Medicine, 1993 Feb; 93(2):116-117.
- “Dubious dental care: delusions and poor science in the dental office” (with WT Jarvis), in SJ Barrett & WT Jarvis, eds., The Health Robbers: A Close Look at Quackery in America (Prometheus, 1993):307-320.
- “TMJ,” in GS Couzens, ed., House Calls (Simon & Schuster, 1993).
- “Dental care,” in HJ Cornaccia & SJ Barrett, eds., Consumer Health: A Guide to Intelligent Decisions (Times Mirror/Mosby, 1st edn., 1992).
- “Dental silver tooth fillings,” The FASEB Journal, 1989 Dec; 4(5):1542-1543.
- “Are today’s dentists perpetrating fraud?” The Washington Post, 1986 Nov 25.
The Online John Dodes: