John E. Swartzberg, MD
Berkeley, California, USA
John E. Swartzberg, MD, FACP, is a clinical professor at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health and chair of the editorial board of the UC Berkeley Wellness Letter. He is also director of the UC Berkeley – UCSF Joint Medical Program. He is board certified in internal medicine and infectious diseases. Before joining UC Berkeley’s faculty full time in 2001, he spent 25 years in clinical practice. He is also the hospital epidemiologist and chair of the infection control committee at the Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley and teaches a two-semester graduate course in infectious diseases at UC Berkeley. He collaborated with the late Dr Sheldon Margen, a pioneer in nutritional sciences and co-founder of the Wellness Letter, on the highly successful Wellness Self-Care Handbook in 1998 and the Complete Home Wellness Handbook in 2001. His areas of professional interest are medical education and nosocomial infections.
Men’s Health: Wellness Reports 2010 (University Health Publishing, UC Berkeley Wellness, 2010). What is currently known about the major disorders affecting women, as well as on other issues of aging, and advises what can be done about them.
Eating for Optimal Health: Wellness Reports 2010 (University Health Publishing, UC Berkeley Wellness, 2010). A report on the latest research in nutrition.
Controlling Your Cholesterol: Wellness Reports 2010, with Ronald M Krauss (University Health Publishing, UC Berkeley Wellness, 2010). The latest and best advice on reducing your cholesterol in order to prevent heart attack.
Women's Health: Wellness Reports 2010 with Joyce C. Lashof (University Health Publishing, UC Berkeley Wellness, 2010). What is currently known about the major disorders affecting women, as well as on other issues of aging, and advises what can be done about them.
Complete Home Wellness Handbook, with Sheldon Margen (Health Letter Association, 2001). The authors present strategies that they believe can reduce health risks.
The University of California at Berkeley Wellness Self-Care Handbook: The Everyday Guide to Home Remedies, with Sheldon Margen (Random House, 1998). Information about everyday health problems, drawing on the expertise of the world-renowned School of Public Health at the University of California, Berkeley.
Watch Dr. Swartzberg:
- Intervew: “Is organic really better?”
- “UC yourself living well”
Other Selected Writings:
- “Flu vaccinations for children help protect us all,” SFGate, 2008 Mar 14.
- “The physician as public health professional in the 21st century” (with SM Shortell), Journal of the American Medical Association, 2008 Dec 24; 300(24):2916-2918. [Extract]
- “Evaluation of policies regarding physicians infected with blood‐borne pathogens” (with C Ng), Infectious Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 2005 Apr; 26(4):410-414. [DOI]
- “Regulating natural health products” (with JC Lashof, S Margen, & I Hershowitz), Science, 2002 Apr 5; 296(5565):46-47. [DOI]
In the Media:
- “Don't waste money on useless cellulite treatments,” by Herb Weisbaum, KomoNews, 2010 Aug 11.
- “Medpedia Announced, World’s Largest Collaborative Online Encyclopedia of Medicine and Health,” BioMedicine, 2008 Jul 23.
- “Facts filter out fiction about bottled water,” by Ann Tatko-Peterson, Contra Costa Times, 2007 Sep 11.
- “‘Good germs’ good for you,” by Kim Mulvihill, M.D., CBS 5, 2006 May 9.
- “WHO names top 10 health risks,” by Anne M. Rosenthal, International Health Environmental Health Perspectives, 2003 Jul.
- “Some hucksters never go away!” BallanceBodyWorks, nd.
The Online John Swartzberg: