Robert J. Weyant, DMD, DrPH
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Robert Weyant is a professor and Chair of the Department of Dental Public Health in the School of Dental Public Health at the University of Pittsburgh. He is Associate Dean for Dental Public Health and Community Outreach and associate professor of epidemiology at the Graduate School of Public Health. He is on the faculty of the University of Pittsburgh’s Cancer Institute and the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute. He directs the Center for Oral Health Research in Appalachia and oversees the joint degree program in public health. Dr. Weyant is active in the development of interventions to reduce oral disease in difficult to reach populations, such as the rural poor.
Dr Weyant has special interests in community-based disease prevention, reducing oral health disparities in vulnerable population, and in issues related to health policy and access to care. He serves on the Internal Advisory Committee of the University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Global Health.
Since 2008, Dr. Weyant has been editor of the Journal of Public Health Dentistry. He is past president of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry.
Dr. Weyant earned a master’s degree in public health and his dental degree from the University of Pittsburgh. For four years, he served in the US Navy and completed a dental public health residency with the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. He earned a doctoral degree in epidemiology from the University of Michigan in 1991.
- “Demographic, socioeconomic, and behavioral factors affecting patterns of tooth decay in the permanent dentition: principal components and factor analyses” (with Shaffer JR, Polk DE, Feingold E, Wang X, Cuenco KT, Weeks DE, Desensi RS, Crout R, McNeil DW, and Marazita M), Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 2012 Oct 29; PMID: 23106439. [DOI]
- “Genome-wide association Scan of dental caries in the permanent dentition” (with Wang X, Shaffer JR, Zeng Z, Begum F, Vieira AR, Noel J, Anjomshoaa I, Cuenco KT, Lee MK, Beck J, Boerwinkle E, Cornelis MC, Hu FB, Crosslin DR, Laurie CC, Nelson SC, Doheny KF, Pugh EW, Polk DE, Crout R, McNeil DW, Weeks DE, Feingold E, and Marazita ML), BMC Oral Health, 2012 Dec 21; 12(1):57. PMID: 23259602. [DOI]
- “Global oral health inequalities: task group-implementation and delivery of oral health strategies” (with Sheiham A, Alexander D, Cohen L, Marinho V, Moysés S, Petersen PE, Spencer J, and Watt RG), Advances in Dental Research, 2011 May; 23 (2):259-67. PMID: 21490238. [DOI]
- “Socioeconomic factors in adolescents’ oral health: are they mediated by oral hygiene behaviors or preventive interventions?” (with Polk DE and Manz MC), Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 2010 Feb; 38(1):1-9. PMID: 19845711. [DOI]
- “Interventions based on psychological principles improve adherence to oral hygiene instructions,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2009 Mar; 9(1): 9-10. [DOI]
- “Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is safe and effective for treatment of postoperative third molar extraction pain,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2009 Dec; 9(4): 211-2. [DOI]
- “Early orthodontic treatment is no more effective in treating prominent upper front teeth (class II malocclusion) than late treatment,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2008 Jun; 8(2): 72-3. [DOI] [Summary]
- “Questional benefit from occlusal adjustment for TMD disorders,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2006 Jun; 6(2): 167-8. [DOI]
- “Microbial risk indicators in early childhood caries” (with PM Corby, J Lyons-Weller, WA Bretz, TC Hart, JA Aas, T Boumenna, J Goss, AL Corby, HM Junior & BJJ Paster), Clinical Microbiology, 2005 Nov; 43(11):5753-5759. [DOI]
- “No evidence that improved personal oral hygiene prevents or controls chronic periodontitis,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2005 Jun; 5(2):74-75. [DOI]
- “Dental caries and microbial acid production in twins” (with WA Bretz, PM Corby, TC Hart, S Costa, MQ Coelho, M Robinson & NJ Schork), Caries Research, 2005 May-Jun; 39(3):168-172. [Abstract]
- “Longitudinal study of periodontal disease and edentulism with rates of bone loss in older women” (with P Famili, JA Cauley & JBS Suzuki), Journal of Periodontology, 2005 Jan; 76(1):11-15. [Abstract]
- “Seven systematic reviews confirm topical fluoride therapy is effective in preventing dental caries,” Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice, 2004; 4(2):129-135. [Abstract] [DOI]
- “Dental caries status and need for dental treatment of Pennsylvania public school children in grades 1, 3, 9, and 11” (with M Manz & P Corby), Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 2004 Summer; 64(3):136-144. [Abstract] [DOI]
- “Report of recommendations from the National Dental Public Health Workshop,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 2003 Fall; 63(4):258-262. [Abstract]
- Measuring beliefs about orthodontic treatment: A questionnaire approach” (with ME Bennett, K O’Brien, C Phillips & K Dryland Vig), Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 1997 Dec; 57(4):215-223. [Abstract] [DOI]
- “Genetic and Environmental Contributions to Oral Health Disparities,” presented at Program in Pediatric Dentistry; 2012 Mar 9; Columbia University.
- “The Challenge of Change,” presented at the American Dental Association, Evidence-based Champions Workshop; 2012 Mar 9-10; Chicago, IL.
- “Advancing Oral Health in America: Institute of Medicine Report,” presented at the ADEA Dean’s Meeting; 2011 Sep 21; Washington, DC.
- 2002 American Association of Public Health Dentistry Special Merit Award
The Online Robert J. Weyant: